Saturday, December 14, 2013

12 Days of Anime--#12: Humor is an Important Part of a Relationship

12 Days of Anime Amnesia Screencap 1

Happy holidays everybody! This year I'll be participating in the 12 Days of Anime for the third time. If you haven't heard of it before, there's more detail in the link. I like the treat the 12 Days posts like a personal highlight reel, covering some of my favorite moments, characters, and episodes that aired in the last year. And I'm kicking things off with my biggest unintentional laugh of the year, straight from the otome adaptation Amnesia.

First, some context. I did not like Amnesia. However, I did get all the way through it, which is more than I can say about Diabolik Lovers. I bring that show up because it also has a similar scene, but while I laughed at that one too, this one is far funnier to me because of my mindset when I was watching it. By this point, I'd completely given up on Amnesia being entertaining. I'd just sat through three episodes covering an over-possessive stalker who had locked the main character into a cage for several days and yet the show still expected me to view him as romantic and sympathetic. I was ready to drop the show at the end of the episode when, halfway through, this happened:

12 Days of Anime Amnesia Screencap 2
12 Days of Anime Amnesia Screencap 3
12 Days of Anime Amnesia Screencap 4
12 Days of Anime Amnesia Screencap 5

Then the show transitions into the next character arc like nothing happened. While the character's actions were explained later, this particular scene is never referenced again. I don't know if it was because I already didn't care where the show went at that point, the fact that it came out of left field, or that the main character believed for a second that her crazy boyfriend was the one dangling her off the roof, but for a while just seeing a single screenshot of this scene would crack me up. More otome adaptations need to embrace their unintentional humor side. Then maybe Amnesia would've been a better show.

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

2 comments:

  1. I kina enjoyed Amnesia for the mystery, although I'm aware of many scathing reviews for Amnesia. 2 positives that most people agree on are:

    1) the character designs(by illustrator Mai Hanamura). The Heroine's outfit is very trendy, and contains all the character she is missing.

    2)the OP and ED songs. Yanagi Nagi's Zoetrope and Ray's Recall really set the mood, and even Amnesia game-players said the songs here were much better than the ones the game used.

    Have you ever played the source game before? People who did said the story was much better there.

    PS. Apparently Japanese fangirls ranked cage-locking guy their #1 choice. So much for good taste. ( ̄□ ̄;)
    And cage guy finally gets payback in the game sequel. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.534060353312359

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly agree with those two positives. Admittedly cage guy ruined the whole thing for me; I thought that the other characters were pretty interesting. The English reviews that I've read for the game seem to back me up on that...but yeah, the Japanese fanbase loves cage guy, so he got the majority of the attention. :|

    ReplyDelete