Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Moments of Anime: #2--Family

Penguindrum Screenshot 1

In the immediate wake of Penguindrum ending, this scene from episode 18 has still left the most impact on me.

Penguindrum Screenshot 2 Penguindrum Screenshot 3 Penguindrum Screenshot 4

When I initially watched it, I was mostly just caught up in the drama of it all, the lengths that Kanba was willing to go to save Himari, and feeling bad for Shouma as, once again, he's just a little too late. What I didn't know at the time was that this was the last point when we'd see them together as a conventional family. I'm not counting the beginning of episode 19 here, since I'd argue that things were already beginning to unravel at that point. The show begins to reveal to the viewer that all is not as it seems, and by the end, we know that their family was one of shared circumstance and choice, not by shared blood. Remembering this scene makes me wonder; what is "family?" Is it a word that can only be used in reference towards those who are biologically related to you? Or is there more of a choice in the matter?

Images from Random Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment