Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Attack on Titan Junior High Episode 9--Candy Apples, Bananas, and SPOILERS


Reiner, why are you comparing your friends to carnival food?


This post is a little difficult to write since believe it or not, if you’re an anime-only viewer, this parody is actually getting pretty blatant about some spoilers that haven’t been covered by the TV show yet! Unlike the last episode, where the joke is pretty much dependent on whether or not the viewers know the character’s actual identity without spilling the beans themselves, this episode makes some pretty pointed parallels if you know what to look for.

Or maybe I’m just being paranoid since the spoiler moments are obvious to me since I know what’s going on—

Yeah, no, they're being pretty blatant about it.

I never expected that the parody show would be the place where I would have to warn people of spoilers! It’s also making me suspicious of the rest of the episode in general. This was one of my favorite chapters in the manga since I found it pretty cute (although to be honest, all of the interactions between Annie and Bertoldt are great in Junior High), but was I the only one who thought that this adapted version felt a bit…ominous? Maybe it was just the use of one of the insert songs from the main anime series, but it felt like things were a little bit off for an episode that was about Reiner and Ymir trying to set up Bertoldt.

I swear, if this ends up being foreshadowing for the manga...
In any case, viewer beware if you’re not caught up with the manga apparently! I won’t be including references I spotted this week either, since the majority of them were very spoilery. But with only a few weeks left to go, I doubt that Junior High can allude to too many bombshells about Attack on Titan’s upcoming second season… Right?

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the silly moments as they come!
Images from Funimation.com and Crunchyroll.com. Please support the official simulcast.

~

Want to support posts like this one? Check out Subdued Fangirling's Patreon! Backers get to vote on which series I cover and photo previews on figure reviews! Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment