Thursday, August 20, 2015

Subdued Fangirling Plays the Manga Tag Game

Manga Pile

I know that this blog is pretty anime-centric, but I enjoy manga a lot as well. When I saw this post over at OASG, I knew I had to try it out! The original idea and questions were created by Megan (a.k.a. Brainchild) at Manga Test Drive.

Let’s get started!

1) What was your first manga?

Pokemon Adventures Manga

Pokemon was the first manga that I read without knowing what manga was. A friend had a copy and it got passed around the playground. We were simultaneously amused and confused by the differences between it and the show and the video game—before reading it, some of my classmates claimed it was closer to the game, but you never get the chance to outright murder an Arbok in Red/Blue/Yellow, so I’m not sure what version they were playing. There’s a creepypasta story just waiting to happen somewhere in there…

2) What is your most expensive manga?

Attack on Titan Import Copies 15 and 16

Probably my imported copies of Attack on Titan Volumes 15 and 16, since they came with the A Choice With No Regrets OVAs. They’re actually the only Japanese copies that I have in my collection period, and I’m really amused by the size difference compared to the standard size for US manga!

3) What was your least expensive manga?

Shugo Chara Manga

Shugo Chara. I bought the majority of the volumes in bulk during sales. That said, I usually buy during sales to begin with, but this is the most of one series that I got all at once.

4) What is the most boring manga you own?

Kimi ni Todoke Manga

Kimi no Todoke. I love the anime version of this series despite complaints that it drags things out. However, even though reading a volume of manga takes far less time for me than watching an anime episode, it feels like the manga drags things out even more.

JUST DO IT
JUST GO OUT ALREADY
5) What is your favorite manga series?

Attack on Titan Manga Collection

…Do I need to say it at this point?

6) What is most relatable manga series you own?

Skip Beat Manga

I talked about this a bit on the Shoujo You Should Know post, but Kyoko is a character who I find very inspiring because of the way she learns to love herself and become better at her passion as a result. When I first started reading the series, I related pretty strongly to the way her temper is portrayed—she may be self-deprecating, but she knows when she’s being treated badly—and as the years have gone by, I’ve found myself relating to other parts of her character as well. It’s not so strong of a connection for me to jokingly claim “that’s me as anime,” but Kyoko has acted as a sort of role model for me over the years, and that’s one of the reasons why Skip Beat means a lot to me.

7) What is one manga you own based off an anime? & 8) What is the rarest manga you own?

Princess Tutu Manga

I have the first volume (of two, I need to get the other one) that was commissioned from a yuri hentai author to promote the Princess Tutu anime. Yes, you read that correctly. However, I’m 99.9% sure that all the author did was read the basic premise of the anime and look at the character designs and then just do their own thing, since it is nothing at all like the original show. If you’re familiar with Princess Tutu at all, it’s good for a laugh and not much else.

9) What is the most reprinted manga you own?

Sailor Moon Manga

I’m not sure about the print history of all my manga series, but I’m pretty sure Sailor Moon is the answer here! I remember the Mixx copies of the manga being passed around the playground alongside Pokemon, although I had no interest in Sailor Moon back then. Now, I own the Kodansha reprint; the covers are gorgeous!

10) What is the most popular manga you own?


At least I'm not alone!

11) What is the most damaged manga you own?

Hana Kimi Manga

One of my copies of Hana Kimi has a weird cut through the spine. It already had it when I picked it up at Borders (remember Borders?). I felt sorry for it because I was sure that no one else would want it due to the defect. It hasn’t gotten any worse since I first bought it, which makes me wonder what caused it in the first place. Also, a lot of the covers are warped from the amount of times I re-read the volumes when I was younger (which you can see from the picture).

12) Which manga has the most amazing art?

Tegami Bachi Manga

Tegami Bachi blows me away every time I open it. The detail on not just the characters but the landscape that surrounds them is breathtaking. It feels like a real place somewhere out there, even though it is very much a fantasy world. Looking at it never gets old to me.

13) What is the oldest published manga that you own?

Black Jack Manga

Black Jack! It’s also easily my favorite Tesuka series, despite the fact that a lot of it is pretty dated by now.

14) What is the newest published manga that you own?

Tokyo Ghoul Manga

Tokyo Ghoul is also my most recent obsession—I even cosplayed as Touka at AX this year! The level of character development and world building in the manga far outstrips what was presented in the anime, so I strongly encourage anyone who was interested by the anime to check out the manga!

Also, I love that Viz went for the Signature version for this release. It looks fantastic.

15) What are some of the most recent manga you have purchased?

Assassination Classroom Manga

Aside from the first Tokyo Ghoul volume, I also picked up the first two volumes of Assassination Classroom recently! This series is a lot more interesting that I assumed from first glance; I can see why it’s getting more and more popular!

This is a fun meme! I tag my co-writer Helen at Narrative Investigations to try this next!

I wonder if there’s a version of this meme about anime collections…

Want to support posts like this one? Consider donating to Subdued Fangirling’s Patreon! Rewards include the ability to vote on which series I cover and previews of figure reviews!

Images by me. All series belong to their respective copyright holders.

No comments:

Post a Comment