Sunday, December 23, 2012

12 Days of Anime--#3: JOOOOOOOOOOOOOJO

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 OP Screenshot

A fabulous show needs fabulous music.

I've been enjoying Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since the beginning of its run. It didn't make my Top 12 list for nothing. However, for the first few episodes the subpar animation really bugged me. Was the budget really that small? What could they have used all the money on? And then the OP animation revealed itself and my mind was blown.


Talk about epic. From there on out, I'm assuming that they spent all the money on CG, and if that's true it was a good investment. It's stunning visually, and that sightly strange look that all CG has regardless of quality is easy to excuse here since it looks like a manga page coming to life... Which is the point of the anime. The cherry on the cake is the song it's set to. There are good OPs and then there are great OPs, and for me the difference between the two is how excited they get me to watch the show. I haven't skipped this once. I probably never will. The new animation for Battle Tendency is also amazing. Recording an original song for this show's theme was the right way to go, since it fits this show perfectly.


Equally awesome is the show's choice for the ED theme, Roundabout by Yes. The ED is otherwise unremarkable (a series of static character images with a Mayan sacrifice ritual background...which sounds a lot cooler than it actually is) but it is a great choice given Jojo's rock music references. It's also been used with great success to heighten the tension of the end of an episode; Zeppeli's decision to join the battle that he knew would result in his death is made even better thanks to this music. If only every show had the same kind of flair with its opening and closing themes.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 Zeppeli Screenshot
Also the recipient of the Badass of the Year Award
Images and video from YouTube. I make no claim of ownership.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just now getting around to watching this show. I love it. Yes was one of my first musical obsessions so its nice that its getting some exposure. The timing of Roundabout with regard to the episode that you mentioned was perfect. When the show first aired I watched the first episode and dismissed it. Later it came back onto my radar with all of the fan response on twitter and amount my friends. I guess its better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a good time to start watching Jojo! I was really happy with the exposure Yes got after the show started airing as well. A+ music choice.

    ReplyDelete