Friday, April 13, 2012

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) First Impressions--Making it Swing

Sakamichi no Apollon Kids on the Slope First Impressions Screenshot 1

If you've ever experienced playing or making music in your life, this show is a treat.

Sakamichi no Apollon Kids on the Slope First Impressions Screenshot 2 Sakamichi no Apollon Kids on the Slope First Impressions Screenshot 3 Sakamichi no Apollon Kids on the Slope First Impressions Screenshot 4

A long time ago, I played in the school band. I eventually quit, but a lot of my friends stayed with it and continued playing (or singing) through high school. So while I'm not a music expert by any stretch of the definition, I appreciate what Apollon is doing here, since some of those same friends played in the jazz band as well. I laughed when the main character got called out for not letting the notes swing, because he was right. While there wasn't a lot of music in this episode (why isn't there a jazz OP/ED?) when it did turn up it was great. Since the focus is music, it isn't treated with the same flippancy most anime do with instruments. Instead of "here's a guy playing the drums" it's "no really, here's a guy playing the drums." It may sound like that's not much of a difference, but the little details, like how Sentarou holds the drumsticks, really add up. And the differences in sound--between the two pianos, and which character is playing--is fantastic as well. My hat is off to the sound team and the musicians involved, and we've barely just started. Is it next week yet?

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

3 comments:

  1. Now HERE is an anime I've been waiting for! Especially since the composer for the music is one of my favorite artists. I'm glad to hear I'm not going to be let down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I'm glad that all my personal hype for this series wasn't wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a this was brilliant. By far the best episode of the spring anime that I've seen so far. As soon as the episode ended I googled Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. Downloading Moanin right now.

    ReplyDelete