Friday, July 8, 2011

Blood-C Episode 1--Personalities Can be Decieving

Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 1

I have not seen Blood+, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this other than awesome fights and CLAMP character designs. I was not disappointed.

Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 2
Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 3
Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 4

The majority of the episode was pretty slow moving, and I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. Wasn't this supposed to be a show about fighting vampires? Based off of what I had seen of Saya so far, I assumed that something crazy was going to happen to her in order to kick off the fighting part of the show--I was even expecting the old cliches of her coming home to find her house on fire and/or her father dead which would cause her to swear revenge or something along those lines--but what actually happened was completely different. She arrives home, her father gives her the sword, and tells her to go kill a demon that's nearby. And suddenly the cutesy character was gone. Saya was completely serious until she went back to her father to report that the demon was dead.

Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 5
From this...

Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 6
...to this.

This raises a lot of questions as to Saya's "real" personality. Some people are calling foul, saying that Saya is a Mary Sue and that CLAMP is trying to have it both ways, but I don't think that's the case here. CLAMP is pretty good at mindscrews too, in case anyone forgot. The opening scene talks about human nature and asks whether someone is "born" into it or "becomes" it; basically, the nature versus nurture debate. This makes me think that the personality that Saya showed for most of the episode--accidentally falling, singing about breakfast, picking up trash on the way to school--might be an act of sorts. She could simply act the way that she does so as to not draw attention. Who would suspect that the cute spacehead girl also slays demons and vampires on a regular basis? That said, she does go back to her cute act rather quickly once the demon is dead, which makes me wonder how much her father has to do with her actions as well.

Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 7
Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 8
Blood-C Episode 1 Screenshot 9

So... which one is the "real" Saya? The space-case who's always late for school? Or the badass demon killer? Where does one end and the other begin? I realize that not everyone is happy with this first episode, but I've found plenty to keep me interested, even if CLAMP pulls another convoluted ending out of this one. I'm willing to stick around and see where this show goes.

Images from NicoNico.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment