Saturday, July 11, 2015

School-Live First Impressions—Don't Spoilers Read Inside

School-Live First Impressions Screenshot 1

This show does one thing really well, and if that one thing is spoiled for you, it might just ruin the experience. (A/N: No really, don’t read this if you don’t want spoilers.)

School-Live First Impressions Screenshot 2

I’d heard beforehand that this show actually took place during the apocalypse, but I’d just assumed from the start of the episode that the other kids in the school were more or less in the same boat. I didn’t think that our main genki character was actually suffering a break from reality and that the other characters were just humoring her.

School-Live First Impressions Screenshot 3

In that respect, I appreciate how the episode did make some things feel “off” while still playing off the suspension of disbelief thanks to it being a “school club that does nothing” show. Your friend randomly interrupting multiple classes? Totally fine! Skipping class to search for a dog? That’s cool, no repercussions whatsoever! The horticulture club isn’t even colored in? That’s just a joke, it doesn’t matter because they’re background characters! I like that all the hints were there, but thanks to the viewer expectations of the genre (read: they do what they want because anime) the secret isn’t revealed until the last second.

School-Live First Impressions Screenshot 4

I’m a little concerned that this is their only gimmick though. The twist kind of reminds me of the first episode of Kotoura-san, which was also equal parts cute yet surprisingly grimdark, but the rest of that show was never able to recapture that. That said, School-Live definitely has my attention. I mean, I’ve never watched a slice-of-life zombie apocalypse show before.

Images from Crunchyroll.com. Please support the official simulcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment