Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015 from Subdued Fangirling!

Attack on Titan Happy New Year

Happy New Year! I hope that you've all enjoyed your time off and caught up with some anime series before starting the new year. I know I did!

I'll keep this short and sweet. Over the past year, it's been hard for my to keep up with this blog, and a lot of posts and reviews that I've wanted to write have fallen to the side because of real life and school demanding more and more of my time. I always promised myself that I would quit this blog if it became too much of a hassle or felt like a burden, but I've really missed writing for it as much as I used to. I don't think that I'll ever get to that level of output again, but I'd like to at least put posts out more consistently.

That's why one of my New Year's Resolutions is to put myself on a writing schedule so that I can write the posts that I want to without conflicting too much with my other commitments. I may still drop in and out of activity (I'm starting student teaching this month), but I'm hoping that this schedule will let me have some content to fall back on when things do get busy.

In the meantime, thanks for sticking around and reading my thoughts on anime over the past year! Let's make this year a good one!

Top image from the Attack on Titan online game (source).

7 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you actually bothered putting Tokyo Ghoul on the list. Many people I know didn't like the anime, except for maybe it's gore fanservice ? xD But this list is pretty interesting all in all, thank you.There's like 6 anime on this that I haven't watched at all. So I know what I am doing next 2 weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!!! Followed your advice and caught up on some missed anime and news!

    Nozaki: The mangaka's making fun of herself via Nozaki's character. She started drawing manga in high school, has weird ideas for character development, and is bad at drawing perspective. Exactly like Nozaki himself!!
    The part on Maeno the useless editor echoes real life. Mangaka Watase Yuu was assigned to a Maeno-like editor during the early run of Arata: The Legend; he'd insist on her incorporating his storyline changes into the plot and refused to approve her drafts for publishing unless she complied. She got assigned to a better editor, but the damage was done. She thinks his ideas spoilt the manga's early pacing.

    Gargantia: There's a 2-part OVA sequel to the TV series being produced. Part 1 has been released and subbed, about 1 hour long. Part 2 is due mid-2015. It introduces a new girl, Leema, previously of Kugel's fleet. I also looked up the character designer, Hanaharu Naruko. Turns out the artist is an erotic mangaka by trade!! I could give you links to some of his more...carnal works, if you'd like to see the artwork.

    Beyond the Boundary: 2 movies are due for 2015. Part 1: The Past comes in March; it is a TV recap. Part 2: The Future comes in April; and is the true sequel. Some of the movie merchandise includes file folders featuirng the characters in swimwear.
    http://kejepangyuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ticket1.png
    Of course, Hiro'omi stood out by wearing the skimpy one. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too!


    Nozaki: I always had a feeling that the Nozaki jokes came from real life. XD And is the mangaka friends with Watase Yuu, or is that just a generally known story in the industry? Either way, I kind of have to agree; it felt like Arata: The Legend took a while to find it's voice, and that's not typical with her works. That's a shame that she had that experience.


    Gargantia: Awesome! I knew that part of the OVA was out, but I didn't know that it was subbed.


    Beyond the Boundary: I'm really looking forward to that second movie. And why am I not surprised at all by Hiroomi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely had its problems with the pacing and censorship, but I really loved the characters and the themes it explored. Also, the final episode was incredible, easily one of the best bits of anime that I watched all year.


    But anyway, thank you! I'm glad I gave you some stuff for your watchlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. Another orphaned blog. Well, I hope it can work out. Good luck with your student teaching. I'll definitely pop in and out to check on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if this schedule works out, then this blog won't be orphaned! I'm aiming for at least one post a week right now, and hopefully that will be doable!

    ReplyDelete