Sunday, December 14, 2014

12 Days of Anime 2014--#12: Molting

12 Days of Anime Chaika the Coffin Princess Image 1

Welcome to the 12 Days of Anime! If you haven't heard of it before, this is a yearly event where anime bloggers share twelve moments from anime that affected them this year. If you'd like to find out more about this, just click on the link! I've participated every year, and even though school has absorbed a lot of my free time, I'm not going to break this tradition!

For my 12 Days posts, I like to share some of my favorite characters and scenes from the anime that I watched over the last year. This time, I'm starting things off with my favorite dragon girl: Fredrica!

12 Days of Anime Chaika the Coffin Princess Image 2

I mentioned this briefly in my review for the first season of Chaika the Coffin Princess, but Fredrica was on the characters that made the world of the series really come alive for me. As far as emphasis on the plot, she doesn't do much. However, the consistency in portraying her as a powerful being that's mainly along for the ride out of boredom was something that I appreciated in the show. It sidesteps the pitfall of making Fredrica a cute anime girl that hangs out in the background and never forgets that she's not human, despite what form she's wearing at the moment.

In fact, she's only a secondary character because her motivations are so different from the rest of the main cast (read: she doesn't really care and only wants to fight Toru and/or make a contract with him). She consistently behaves like a dragon with a different morality and worldview, and that's something that I would like to see fantasy anime explore more often with its non-human characters.

In the meantime, I'm happy with the dragon-girl-who-is-also-sometimes-a-cat.

12 Days of Anime Chaika the Coffin Princess Image 3
Admit it, you laughed too
Images from Crunchyroll.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment