Friday, September 19, 2014

Fall 2014 Preview

Chaika the Coffin Princess Promo Art

The summer anime season is winding down, so now it's time to look towards the next season! Fall 2014 is looking like mostly a season of sequels for me, since I'm going back to school (again) and would rather focus on shows that I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy. So without further ado, here's what my watchlist looks like so far!

Akatsuki no Yona Preview Image

Akatsuki no Yona

My eyes initially skimmed right over this thanks to the first part of the synopsis--I get that marrying your cousin doesn't carry the same taboo in Japan, but it still weirds me out. However, the trailer changed my mind. It went from shoujo bubbles to badass fighting and the promise of political intrigue, all of which is right up my alley, so I'll be watching this after all! Since this is a last-minute add-on to my list, I don't have big expectations, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the trailer got me really excited for this.

Denki-Gai no Honya-San Preview Image

Denki-Gai no Honya-San

Looks like Working! but in an otaku bookstore. I can get behind that. Not much else to say about this one except that I expect shenanigans and references. According to the trailer, it'll deliver on both!

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV Preview Image

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

This one's here tentatively, since I did enjoy the Unlimited Blade Works movie but I'm not sure if I want to watch it again in an extended format. This is more of a "try a few episodes and then see how I feel about it" kind of situation.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san Preview Image

Gugure! Kokkuri-san

This is another one that I was on the fence about until the saw the trailer. Hooray for supernatural comedy shows! It's kind of hard to tell in the trailer how the humor will work, but since I love this genre of comedy I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem.

Gundam Build Fighters Try Preview Image

Gundam Build Fighters Try

I caught up on the first season over the summer, and what can I say, kid shows that attempt to market things are my weakness. It's basically Angelic Layer but with Gunpla, what's not to enjoy here? I'm a little disappointed that they're moving on with all-new characters instead of continuing with the old cast, but as long as it continues to embrace the silly but ernest nature of the first season, I'll still be watching.

Chaika the Coffin Princess: Avenging Battle Preview Image

Chaika the Coffin Princess: Avenging Battle

I was surprised and impressed by the first season of Chaika, and I'm glad that it's getting a second season that reportedly will take us all the way to the end of the story this time! I'm excited to see how the plot will address some of the bigger mysteries in the story and if some fan theories turn out to be true. I usually try to keep my expectations in check for sequels, but after everything the first season did right, it's hard not to get excited!

Orenchi no Furo Jijou Preview Image

Orenchi no Furo Jijou

Have I ever told you guys how much I like mermaids? Because I love mermaids. I know that this will likely turn out to be a fanservice anime where nothing much happens, but it has mermaids and they are my weakness.

Parasyte Preview Image

Parasyte

I've been hearing about this manga for years, and now it's finally getting an anime! It's rumored that an adaptation didn't happen earlier due to the rights being tied up in movie production hell, but better late than never. I don't know very much about the story, so at the moment I'm interested in how they'll handle the creepier/gorier aspects. Will Parasyte get the same level of TV censorship as Tokyo Ghoul, for instance?

Psycho-Pass 2 Preview Image

Psycho-Pass 2

I was ambivelent on the first season of Psycho-Pass when it ended--some things it did very well, but a few silly moments came close to breaking the whole show (remember HYPER OATS?). However, now that I've gotten some distance from it, I have to admit that the show's grown on me more and that I remember more of the good than the bad. I'm interested in seeing what they will do with the new season, and if Akane will find a way to beat the system from the inside out. Without a doubt, it's the best that anime has to offer the cyberpunk genre for fall.

Which shows are on your watchlist this season?

Images from MyAnimeList, Anime Planet, and Google Image Search. Series information from AniChart.net. Top image is promotional art for the first season of Chaika the Coffin Princess.

6 comments:

  1. Yona's based on the ongoing shoujo manga of the same name by shoujo mangaka Kusanagi Mizuho. Yona's the first work of hers to get animated. Have you read any of her manga before?
    Parasyte's getting a 2-part live action movie adaptation, one in October, two in 2015.
    Psycho-Pass is also getting a movie release for Winter.
    Also, no Free! Eternal Summer posts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her work before, so I'm going into Yona completely fresh! And I'd heard about the live action Parasyte, but not that it was getting two movies. That'll be interesting.
    And as for the Free! posts, I was sick last weekend, so I wasn't able to finish up the post in time. There'll be one covering the last two episodes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked the film of UBW, what's your background on the Fate franchise?
    From what I recall, It'd be impossible to understand what was happening without watching FSN (2006 TV) or playing the visual novel and I can't imagine either having a great impression of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the 2006 TV version while waiting for the second half of Fate/Zero to come out. And the only reason I understood what was going on was because of the absurd amount of detail the early episodes of Fate/Zero. I saw the movie a bit later at an anime club meeting. The TV show is pretty terrible and the movie version is obviously condensed, so I'm not sure what to expect from this version...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love love love with the Yona manga (as I feel like everyone knows now ^^;), just crossing my fingers they don't mess up the pacing since they're covering at least 40 chapters going by that PV alone and the best stopping point any of us fans can think of comes around at least chapter 60.....
    As for the rest, I think my expectations for Honya-san are about the same as yours and you'll have to tell me if the mermaid one is any good, I keep missing it on the lists but if it turns out to be decent BL I'll give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know! I hope that the pacing stays even.


    And you'll likely hear about the mermaid one from me. I'm really hoping that it'll be good.

    ReplyDelete