Saturday, July 19, 2014

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3--So, How Do You Like My Swimming Now?

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 1

Yes, it's that Golden Boy reference in the title again. No, I will not stop mentioning it when talking about Rei.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 2 Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 3

I don't have a ton to say about this episode other than WOW, LOOK AT THAT METRIC TON OF REIGISA SHIPBAITING so I'll keep this short. While this is a Rei-centric episode, it uses a tired plot that's been driven into the ground by TV shows in general. "Oh no! Person A is feeling insignificant/unwanted/unneeded! Now they're talking to Random Person X who is completely outside of our social group! This means that they want to abandon us forever!" Misunderstandings ensue, but eventually it's clarified that no one's going anywhere and the status quo is restored.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 4
I love these losers
I'm not a big fan of plots based around misunderstandings (I used to be a big shoujo fan, and that makes up 99.9% of the genre so I got burnt out on them), but this episode had a good amount of humor in it as well, so I didn't mind it too much. Nagisa getting increasingly annoyed at Rei for skipping out on practice was hilarious and cute.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 5 Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 6
THEY ARE PAINTING EACH OTHER

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 7
*Linkin Park playing in the background*
Also, Rei's problem in this episode is something that I'm glad the show decided to discuss. Given his obsession with being "beautiful," it wouldn't make sense for Rei not to want to improve his lacking swimming skills in favor of just being happy with the butterfly stroke. Which is still an impressive fluke by the way. He can swim one of the most difficult strokes but sinks like a stone otherwise... Anyway, it was good to clarify what Rei really wanted to do and then rework his swimming goals based around that.

The rest of the episode was mostly shenanigans. But they were the kind of shenanigans I like.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 8
Nobody believes you
Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 9 Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 10
In which Gou is all of us. Again.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 11

The twist at the end with Rin teaching Rei how to swim was my favorite part of the episode. And with Rin heavily implying that he did it to make up for taking Rei's place in the relay at the end of last season, I have zero complaints about Rin's character from here on out. I probably sound like a broken record now, but I am so happy with the growth we've seen in Rin over these last few episodes. He's shown that he hasn't only learned from his mistakes, but actively wants to make up for them. This was the kind of thing that we needed to see at the end of the first season after all that drama, but better late than never!

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 12

That said, it's pretty obvious that Sousuke will be taking over the "angsty character who injects the show with needless drama" position from here on out. The "for your friend" comment and how he reacted to Haru last episode makes me think that Sousuke believes he needs to "save" Rin (quotations used sarcastically) so that he'll be able to keep up competetively. Which would be dumb. I hope that's not the reason, but it looks like we'll be getting some backstory context in next week's episode, so we'll find out one way or another soon enough.

Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 13 Free! Eternal Summer Episode 3 Screenshot 14
...I guess that's one way of looking at it

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

6 comments:

  1. PS. Re. shoujo, have you tired watching The World is Still Beautiful? I hear it uses the same cliches, but entertainingly. The heroine herself is no pushover, althoughthe insert song they use does get annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this episode for many reasons since my favorite characters are Rin and Rei. I actually didn't think that Rei was going to quick at all after that inner monologue while he was talking the track captain.

    Quitting like that just isn't beautiful at all and Rei is strives to do his best. So it was funny for me when Kyoani gave us a clue about Rin being involved in the middle of the episode with that Rin and Momo scene. (A purple gift box and butterfly cookies.) Rin and Rei do get along honestly I can see them talking about school and things other then swimming since they're both smart. >w<

    Last note, flamecrotch jr is a being that must be stop or no Matsuoka will be safe from his gaze. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right when they started that scene, I thought, "He's going really slow, isn't he." XD


    SO CUTE


    Huh, I haven't heard anything about Beyond the Boundary in a while, but I guess it did pretty well for them to want to make a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard mixed reviews on it, but I might check it out in the future! I feel like I really have to slim down my backlog list before I add any more titles though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is Haru with Rei as a very close second, but all of these dorks have really grown on me so far this season, so it's hard to pick favorites now! >_<


    Yeah, right when I saw that the cookies were butterflies, I thought, "...Why is Rei giving Rin cookies?" XD It was a cute hint! And I love that they're getting closer now.


    I'm starting to wonder how far he will push it... XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think the race was unfair to Haru though. Dolphins are not land creatures, and
    definitely not long distance runners!

    Nitori's animal mascot confirmed as the duck, btw.
    http://38.media.tumblr.com/21e2dfa78430750565c86d803ea2702a/tumblr_n8un4qaMYO1qfzlwxo1_250.png

    Some Free! fanart by manga artist Ueda Hiroshi, there'a a swimsuit Gou too:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-07-15/mangaka-hiroshi-ueda-draws-free-fanart/.76678

    In Kyoani news, they plan to release a Beyond the Boundary movie for 2015, but there's no news if it's a new story or a recap movie.
    There's also a recently released Ep 0 from the final Boundary Bluray that serves as a prequel on how the Nase siblings and Akihito met for the first time.

    ReplyDelete