Wednesday, July 9, 2014

DRAMAtical Murder First Impressions--Puffy Jackets and Yellow Socks

DRAMAtical Murder First Impressions Screenshot 1

If you follow me on various social media websites, you know that I make it no secret that I spend a lot of time on Tumblr, which I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with. The community there is as creative and enthusiastic as it is completely baffling at times, but I’ve discovered several more series that I’ve grown to love thanks to that website. DRAMAtical Murder has been making the rounds on my dash for a while now, and I thought I had a decent handle on what the game was about, and decided to check out the anime based on that. As it turns out, I knew far less than I thought.

DRAMAtical Murder First Impressions Screenshot 2

DRAMAtical Murder spends its first episode setting up its unique world, where ridiculous puffy coats are things people want to steal and robot dogs have deep voices. That makes it sound like I’m poking fun at the show, but in all seriousness, the weirdness of the world was what kept me interested. It’s established that the city has a number of rival gangs who take their affiliation very seriously, kind of similar to the color gangs from Durarara. A virtual reality fighting game called “Rhyme” has been making the rounds as well, along with rumors of people disappearing. However, our main character Aoba doesn’t care about either gangs or Rhyme, preferring his normal life working at a junk shop and living with his grandmother. However, it’s made clear that Aoba has untapped potential, or maybe even some repressed memories.

DRAMAtical Murder First Impressions Screenshot 3

This is definitely not what I was expecting as the introduction to a BL series, but I’m interested all the same. A lot of the establishing information is revealed through organic dialogue and not “as you know” conversations, while still leaving plenty of questions open to cover as the plot gets underway. I’ll admit that I’m more than a little confused by some of the things that happened in this episode, but in a good way. It didn’t feel like the show was deliberately withholding information; rather, it felt like a broad overview of something a little more complex. That’s not to say that I think that this will be a “deep” show, but it’s nice to see that the world and story have been thought through a bit. If you like cyberpunk and don’t mind BL, you should give this episode a try.

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

4 comments:

  1. I know the series really well and i have to say the anime is handle the source material is well. It change a few thing up but did in a way that still gets the point across. Like those voiceless scenes with Mizuki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! I've tried several times to get the game to work on my computer with no success, so I was crossing my fingers that this would be a good adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dramatical's character designs are very funky and stylish,to say the least. Which one's your favourite?
    But how come the game doesn't work for you? Are you trying to play the original Japanese-language version, or some Internet rip?

    Bakumatsu Rock: There's going to be a sequel/expansion, Ultra Soul, which has Commodore Matthew C Perry Jr as a villian rocker. Here is his design.
    http://38.media.tumblr.com/9bd3a0abc10922f89942dc9777028eac/tumblr_n86kclifLZ1qjlk9jo1_400.png

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm partial to Aoba's design at the moment, since my favorite color is blue. :D
    And my problem is that I'm running a Mac computer, so to play the game I have to run the program through Wine, which apparently requires me to be a coding genius, which I am not. I get as far as the opening screen animation before it dies on me. I would just play it on Boot Camp, but that's not an option for me at the moment either. >_< I'm just gonna cross my fingers that the anime does really well and someone will want to release an official port of it.


    Bakumatsu Rock: A+ use of the American flag

    ReplyDelete