Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring 2014 Preview

Sakura Miku Fanart by Arya032 on DeviantArt
Source
It's finally spring! The Spring season of anime, that is. This season, I'm going to try a couple different post styles in an effort to streamline things so that I can be more active on the blog and talk about everything that I want to discuss! The first thing is a slightly different format for the preview. Instead of covering everything (and I always missed things anyway), I'm just going to talk briefly about the shows I'm planning on picking up this season. So far, ten shows have made the list!

Atelier Escha and Logy Anime Preview Image
Atelier Escha and Logy

I've been playing the game that this is based on and am a little over halfway through the main storyline, but I still stand by the tweet I made a few days ago. I have no idea how this is going to work as an anime. The gameplay is centered around completing tasks, and the only plot (using the term very loosely here) is a vague plan to explore some floating ruins no one has ever been to. It's a cute enough game, but without the actual gameplay I don't know if it'll hold up. Basically, I'm watching to see if it'll crash and burn. (Too bad Ayesha isn't the game getting the adaptation...)

Akuma no Riddle Preview Image
Akuma no Riddle

I put this on my to-watch list ages ago based solely on the premise, and I admit that I haven't looked up anything about it since. I just really want to believe that a show about lesbian assassins will not be a pandering, male-gaze directed show. Let me dream.

Haikyuu! Preview Image
Haikyuu!

Apparently this is the obligatory fujoshi title of the season, which means I'm at least giving it a look. I would say something about it replacing the hole left behind by Kuroko, but I'm still not done with it yet because I don't want it to be over. Haha.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Preview Image
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA--

Kamigami no Asobi Preview Image
Kamigami no Asobi

Brain's Base keeps adapting reverse harems. And I keep watching them despite knowing better. I will never learn. Please let this one be good

Kiniro no Corda: Blue Sky Preview Image
Kiniro no Corda: Blue Sky

I have much higher hopes for the other reverse harem airing this season. Before UtaPri, Kiniro no Corda was the only reverse harem show that I really liked. It followed a girl with a magic violin who tries to win a music contest while competing with her hot classmates. Admittedly, it's not super memorable, but it delivered exactly what it promised. This version has a completely new character, so I'm not sure how much resemblance it'll share with the first adaptation, but hopefully it'll still be fun.

Love Live! S2 Preview Image
Love Live! S2

I marathoned the first season a while back on a whim, and it was surprisingly fun and fluffy! As far as silly fictional idol shows go, this one's not too bad. I'm watching it mainly for the spontaneous musical numbers in the middle of the street.

Mushishi Zoku Shou Preview Image
Mushishi Zoku Shou

Mushishi is getting a second season, and fairy tales and Santa Claus are real. Seriously though, I never thought that I'd see another season of this. Can I time-travel to the premiere date? Please?

Ping Pong the Animation Preview Image
Ping Pong the Animation

I had no idea what to think of this when the adaptation was announced, but quite a few people on the anime side of Twitter were pretty enthusiastic about it, so now I'm pretty interested too! I still don't know what exactly to expect, but it looks like this might be the dark horse of the season.

Knights of Sidonia Preview Image
Knights of Sidonia

At some point, somebody (I don't remember who) told me that Knights of Sidonia is like sci-fi Attack on Titan, which is all anyone needs to say to me to get me interested in something. I have pretty high expectations just from that comparison alone. It's also Netflix's first simulcast, which is great news for the wider streaming community.

And that's it! As always, this list is subject to change as I pick up/drop/fall behind on things, but I doubt that it'll change too much. What are you planning to watch this Spring?

Preview images from MAL. Top image by Arya032 on Deviantart.

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally watching Captain Earth and hoping it's not terrible. I mean, Bones shows usually aren't terrible anyway and I did like Star Driver, which had a lot of the same staff, but there's so little I want to watch this season that I'm feeling all pessimistic. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. No particular shows yet, but will keep an eye on shows as they start. Will keep following Nobunaga the Fool in the meantime. The latest episodes have been getting good, if you are interested.
    Also, Kamigami's character designs are done by the same artist who designed the characters for Hakuoki and Nobunaga the Fool, Yone Kazuki, if you notice the art style.

    Re Kuroko: The top 3 Japanese fan choices for the 2014 Kuroko character popularity poll of Shonen Jump are 1)Seijūrō Akashi – 6,276 votes, 2)Tetsuya Kuroko – 3,505 votes, 3)Kazunari Takao – 2,539 votes.
    Refer to the link for the top 10.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-03-21/over-25000-fans-choose-their-favorite-kuroko-basketball-character

    Re Valvrave: LN spinoffs confirm that the blonde Satomi 200 years later is not actually
    Satomi, but one of his future descendants. Akira laments how much he looks and acts like Satomi, she nearly called him Brother once. ╥﹏╥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that one to not be terrible too, but I'm letting others take the plunge for me. XD I might pick it up later depending on how it's received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I hadn't noticed that in the art style! I thought that something looked familiar.


    And no surprise with Akashi, he's definitely the fan favorite.


    ...I thought that Valvrave was done breaking my heart, aaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete