Monday, December 23, 2013

12 Days of Anime: #3--Kite

12 Days of Anime Hunter x Hunter Screenshot 1

I really liked Kite. (A/N: Massive spoilers for the Chimera Ant arc in this post.)

12 Days of Anime Hunter x Hunter Screenshot 2

So while Ging has been off riding dinosaurs that ride dinosaurs that ride even bigger dinosaurs, Gon has been sorely lacking in a father figure. That role is finally filled at the start of the arc by Kite, who is a complete badass in his own right (being around Ging seems to do that to people). He's skilled enough as a Hunter to be able to teach Gon and Killua more than a thing or two, but never coddles them when they go up against the Chimera Ants. Despite fully understanding the threats that the Ants posed at that point, I was still convinced that this arc would be about Gon, Killua, and Kite kicking butt.

12 Days of Anime Hunter x Hunter Screenshot 3
I was wrong.
Neferpito's attack happens so fast that it took me the rest of the episode to process what had happened. Up until this point, I'd been far more worried about Gon and Killua than I'd ever been about Kite, since they were still in training while he was the seasoned veteran. I was so surprised that I didn't even entertain the possibility that he was dead, completely agreeing with Gon's assertion that he just needed someone to come and rescue him.

Until the next scene happened.

12 Days of Anime Hunter x Hunter Screenshot 4
・゜・(ノД`)
As usual, I tip my hat to Togashi's storytelling skills. This completely blindsided me.

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment