Thursday, August 29, 2013

Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8--By the Power of Friendship

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 1

I'm not sure why, but the chant made me giggle.

Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 2 Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 3

I don't have a lot to say about this week's episode since it was pretty straightforward. Haru is upset about what Rin said, Rin doesn't really care (until later), and the rest of the group decides to try to cheer Haru up by doing their best in their respective events...only to not place at all. I liked that twist a lot actually, since despite the show hyping them up as amazing swimmers, three of them have been out of practice for years and the fourth one is still a newbie, so these results are more realistic. It also sets things up nicely for the plot twist that everyone saw coming with the relay event.

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 4 Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 5

There are only a few things I want to highlight, the first being Haru's lack of a goal. It's a good question for him to ponder, since his main motivation for the majority of the series has been his obsession with water and, more recently, Rin. However, the first reason isn't enough for him to justify the competitive aspect (he did quit for a few years, after all), and with Rin potentially out of the picture, why continue at all? I like the resolution that Haru came to at the end of the episode, since it's something that I strongly agree with: he doesn't need a clear cut answer, he'll just continue until he finds one. These characters are kids in high school; they don't need deep answers to everything they do. If you want to do something, like doing it, and have the ability to keep doing it, why stop? (To be honest though, I think that Haru's "reason" will end up being something like "to be with my friends.")

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 6 Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 7

The second thing was Rin's brief bit of jealousy at the end of the episode. It was a great scene, since this was the first time in the show that he's acknowledged that Makoto and Nagisa are also good swimmers. And the moment when he starts criticizing Rei's stroke was clearly code for "THAT SHOULD BE MEEEEE." Not so much fun when the shoe's on the other foot, is it, Rin? I still stand by what I said last week about him trying to run away from his past, but some of the comments that Makoto made to him made me wonder if Rin is repressing some parts of it as well. I really need to read the prequel novel...

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 8 Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 9

And finally, Makoto waiting for Haru to come home was adorable. At the beginning of this show I shipped nothing, and now I multi-ship everything. This is my life. These are my choices.

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 10 Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 11
Also, bedhead and butterfly jammies

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 Screenshot 12
~Back Muscles~
Images from Crunchyroll.com.

4 comments:

  1. Even in bed, Rei's still gotta look fabulous :)
    Also, are you still following Gatchaman Crowds? I noticed an old post of yours on Gatchaman ep 1, but none since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm still watching that! I'm really loving the twist on the old superhero standards. The people complaining that it's "not the same Gatchaman" are really missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know the full OST's out already too? I especially recommend tracks 1,3, & 7. I think they should still be up on Youtube, so get them before they get taken off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd heard that it was out, but I didn't know the tracks were up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete