Friday, April 19, 2013

RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions--Taking Its Time

RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions Screenshot 1

It seems like the word for this season's premires is "potential," and Red Data Girl is a good example of that.

RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions Image 2 RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions Image 3

Every now and again, you get a show that's a slow starter, playing its cards close to its chest, not not really letting you know what you're in for but dangling some interesting tidbits to see who will bite. Red Data Girl seems to be that kind of show, since very little happens in its opening episode, but I'm interested enough in the implications to give it the three episode test.

The episode follows who I assume is our title character, Izumiko Suzuhara, and her odd life. She lives in a shrine where her day-to-day life is tightly controlled by her absent parents, but still wants to be considered normal. Her method of rebellion is cutting her hair, which doesn't seem that bad at all by conventional standards, but given the reaction of the people around her, this is a very big deal. The episode is filled with moments like this, showing how odd her life is compared to those around her.

RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions Screenshot 4 RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions Screenshot 5

Also, its clear that secrets are being kept from her about the nature of her existence. We get some hints that she has strange powers (the underwater computer scene was simultaneously interesting and confusing) but Izumiko herself doesn't know what that's about, so I guess that's something they're saving for later. The main plot point in this episode revolves around this guy from her past being forced to protect her, probably because of the unexplained supernatural powers. It seems like the show is setting up their relationship as the designated pairing, but my sympathy for this guy tanked when it was revealed that his attitude wasn't because of his (admittedly crappy) situation, but that he'd always been this way. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at the insinuation that a character was pushed off a cliff before.

RDG: Red Data Girl First Impressions Screenshot 6

Anyway, aside from that, not much happens in this episode. I've seen many comments that people have found it boring and dropped it outright, and I think that continued interest in the show will depend on whether or not the "mysteries" present in this episode will hook you. I love supernatural stuff, so it's got me on that alone. However, whether I continue watching or not will depend on how the show executes that element. The preview for the next episode looked much more interesting in that way, so I'm pretty sure that I won't be disappointed.

Images from Hulu.com.

2 comments:

  1. I felt pretty much the same way. Slow isn't a problem for me... as long as we are talking about an episode here and there and not a whole season. I'll be watching a couple more episodes as well to decide whether it's worth following. I'll need a bit more of a hook to grab me, so hopefully the next two installments will give us something more to go on as far as the show's mysteries are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second episode had some interesting stuff going on, so I'm willing to stick around to hear the explanation.

    ReplyDelete