Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tamako Market First Impressions--Mochi is Delicious

Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 1

This is what happens when a character from Hatoful Boyfriend walks into a KyoAni show.

Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 2 Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 3

I don't have much to say about the talking bird beyond that. Mochi'mazzui very strongly reminded me of Sakuya. If you don't know what Hatoful Boyfriend is, it's a pigeon dating sim. And yes, it's as strange as it sounds. But this post isn't about weird dating sims, it's about KyoAni's new original show, and even with one episode I think it's safe to say that we have winner here. It's quirky, relatable, and very funny, with a backdrop that I'm surprised hasn't been exploited in anime more.

Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 4 Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 5

I don't really consider myself a KyoAni fan; I haven't seen every one of their shows, and I don't trumpet everything they make as "THE BEST EVER" like their supporters often do. That said, I can't think of a KyoAni show I dislike (Yes, I liked the Munto remake. No, I did not like the ending). Putting the staff behind K-ON in charge of this show looks like a great idea, since this first episode carries a lot of the love and excitement that made K-ON so fun to watch in the first place, regardless of your stance on their character designs.

Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 6 Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 7

From what little we see of the supporting cast, it looks like we've got an interesting group to bounce everyone off of. Their initial surprise at a talking bird that immediately gave way to "whatever, we've got the New Year to prepare for" was hilarious, and the moment when Mochizou opened his drawer to reveal birthday presents for Tamako that he never got up the nerve to give was touching.

Tamako Market First Impressions Screenshot 8

So the way I see it, right now this could go two ways. The first is that Mochi'mazzui will give Tamako a magic broach that transforms her into a magical girl and asks her to help find his princess, which actually turns out to be her (*cough*). The second is that this is going to continue in the same vein of quirky marketplace antics with some supernatural stuff thrown in via the talking bird. Either way, I'm all in.

Images from TheAnimeNetwork.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment