Thursday, January 3, 2013

Encouragement of Climb (Yama no Susume) First Impressions--To the Highest Peaks

Encouragement of Climb Yama no Susume First Impressions Screenshot 1

This is the first time in a while I've watched a short anime without being completely confused.

A/N: Part of Organization Anti-Social Geniuses' Winter 2013 Evaluation.

Encouragement of Climb Yama no Susume First Impressions Screenshot 2

I'm surprised. I thought that this would be a full length series, not three minutes an episode. This easily has the best production values I've seen for these kind of shorts. There's a nice 3D shot at the very beginning of the episode that does a good job establishing depth. I hope that they'll use something similar for the mountain climbing scenes.

Encouragement of Climb Yama no Susume First Impressions Screenshot 3

The content is pretty solid too, or at least as solid as three minutes can be. I could've easily seen this as the opening setup scene to a larger episode since it doesn't feel rushed and establishes the basic premise and character conflict really well. Our main character, Aoi, used to dream of climbing mountains, but doesn't anymore because she developed a fear of heights after falling and breaking a bone. Her childhood friend, Hinata, is apparently having none of this. I imagine hijinks will somehow be involved.

Encouragement of Climb Yama no Susume First Impressions Screenshot 4

So I'm actually surprised on two counts: one, that this a short, and two, that the quality hasn't seemed to suffer at all. This is the first five-to-three-minute anime I've watched besides Poyopoyo that feels comfortable with its run time. Maybe this will be the season when short anime hits its stride.

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

9 comments:

  1. i have see the epsiode i think its a shoujo ai anime or i`m wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not get that vibe at all; it felt like a friendship anime to me. But I guess that depends on who is watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it becourse is see a moment stand still if they have hands together. thats why !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but younger girls do that all the time. I don't think that this short is going to be focused on romance unless you really want to read into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can read the manga bud i`m lazy!!! bud if you want we can bet if its a shoujo ai or not:P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to bet on anything; it's all how you view it. If holding hands is shoujo ai to you, then it's shoujo ai. That's just not how I view it because I'm not really interested in that sort of thing. You can enjoy it however you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats true bud a bet may be fun bud if you dont want to sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. There just won't be a lot of content to bet on. Overall, this series will be about 40 minutes long, so unless they literally state themselves as a couple or something, it'll come down to individual interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. true and i google the manga and here is the result http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=69245

    ReplyDelete