Sunday, December 16, 2012

12 Days of Anime--#10: A Requiem for Asuna's Personality

SAO Asuna Screenshot 1

We hardly knew thee.

SAO Asune Screenshot 2

I realize that this may be hard to hear. However, it is something that needs to be said, so that you may start the grieving process and head towards acceptance. Take a few calming breaths. This is very important. Your waifu--I'm sorry, I meant Kirito's online wife--has no personality.

I'll give you a moment. Would you like a tissue?

I know, I understand. I was surprised too. But apparently the mere act of existence is not enough to constitute a personality, nor is hanging off a *cough*Gary Stu's*cough*cough*--sorry, I seem to have something in my throat. I meant to say, hanging on a main character's arm is not enough either. Rest assured, we have our best people on this case to find out what happened to the personality formerly known as Asuna.

SAO Asuna Screenshot 3 SAO Asuna Screenshot 4

No, I'm not sure if you could call this a recent development. She did show flashes of potential character development at the beginning of SAO, but since then it's vanished without a trace. I've drawn up some ideas for missing posters, would you like to take a look at them? I need someone to verify the description... "Lost personality: Teenaged anime female, high-ranking officer in powerful guild, driven to return home, not afraid to sacrifice others to reach her ends, last seen in Episode 6." Does that sound about right?

Yes, the details are a bit murky. I personally believed that the kitchen was to blame, but upon re-examination of the crime scene, traces of her personality remained there as well. Now we're unsure whether it's a case of being overshadowed by another character, or just plain lazy writing... The worst possibility is that she experienced a forced personality transplant. That's a sad way for a personality to go... I'm going to be honest with you, her personality is most likely dead. Even if she regains the respect of the plot as a major character, going without a personality for so long will have lasting consequences.

SAO Asuna Screenshot 5
Maybe it was too many spices.
There are some more tissues over here. Yes, it's a very tragic case. One of the worst I've seen. I realize that saying it doesn't help, but-- Yes, the series will be held responsible. Personality removal in the name of wish-fulfillment is a very serious crime in the world of good plot. The best we can do is seek out the causes and not condone them.

I am sorry for your loss.

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

2 comments:

  1. I still feel seething hatred for this show. Never have I been so disappointed with how a female character is treated. EVER. And because she plays second fiddle to Kirito, majority of these SAO viewers, these young impressionable viewers, don't seem care.

    Goodbye Asuna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same. I really liked her at first too, since she didn't really care about the game and just wanted to go home. It would've been a nice counterpoint to examine. But nope, gotta focus on how much a Gary Stu Kirito is!

    ReplyDelete