Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8--Growing Up

Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 1

I think he would've been better off just asking for another kiss.

Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 2
Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 3
Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 4

The focus on romance continues as the show drops its focus on the main group once again to show what's happening with little brother Fuyuki's fledgling relationship. Right off the bat, I have to say that I need to stop being surprised by how naive Shun really is. Sure Shun, "first experience" means "first kiss." Let's go with that.

Secondly, I also have to say that while this was a nice episode, I didn't really get a lot out of it. Fuyuki has only shown up once before, so I don't feel particularly invested in his relationship (not to mention that they're in middle school, so the chances that this relationship will fail are high). It probably would've worked better for me if the episode had focused on Shun's relationship with his younger brother like it did last time. I didn't dislike the episode, but it's hard to top last week after paying off all the buildup.

Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 5
Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 6
Kimi to Boku. 2 Episode 8 Screenshot 7

Anyway, I felt that this episode was once again a commentary on change and learning to let go as life happens. The difference in experience between these two brothers is astounding, especially considering that Shun is some kind of Seventh Wonder of the World when it comes to the purity of his worldview. He honestly has nothing to worry about, since what Fuyuki is going through is normal. Worrying about him "making mistakes" is sweet, but ultimately everyone has to make their own mistakes in life if they're going to learn. (Fuyuki did deserve some berating for pushing his girlfriend into an uncomfortable situation though.)

I don't know whether this was what the episode was getting at or not, but it felt awfully similar to the somber tone at the end of the New Year's episode, when Shun began opening worrying about the change graduation would bring. I'm not sure if this show will ever fully address that issue, but it's a running thread that's still interesting to me.

Current tally: Six (6) Episode(s) without Shun in drag, five (5) consecutive, one (1) where he does not appear at all. I have to admit, I'm impressed at the restraint this season is showing...

Images from Crunchyroll.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment