Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homura Akemi Figma Review

Homura Figma Picture 1

It's time for another figure review! This time I'll be looking at the Max Factory Figma release of Homura Akemi from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Homura Figma Review Picture 2 Homura Figma Review Picture 3

As usual for Figma releases, Homura comes in a sturdy box and packaging that is worth keeping to store all of those extra parts, and she comes with a lot of them. There are three interchangeable expressions (smiling, upset/angry, neutral), a separate armpiece for her shield, her braided hairstyle, glasses, and several weapons.

Homura Figma Review Picture 4

One of the first things that struck me when I saw her in the box and even more so when I took her out of the packaging was how small she is. According to MFC she's about 4.88 inches tall, which for comparison is shorter than my Konata Figma (who's 5.07 inches). With that taken into account, The detail on this figure is pretty great for her size, although it's not without it's flaws, specifically in the paint job; the purple bleeds over onto the frills of her skirt a bit, and each soul gem on the extra hands looks a little bit different from the others (picture below), but overall I didn't notice any big screwups, and she looks rather nice even from a short distance.

Homura Figma Review Picture 5 Homura Figma Review Picture 6
Homura Figma Review Picture 7 Homura Figma Review Picture 8

Her stand is a little bit different from the normal Figma stands in that it has an extra part that goes under her hair to attach to her back which I like a lot more than the stands that attach to the back of the figure's head. It's a lot more helpful with putting her in action poses, and also leaves the hair free to be posed on it's own so you can achieve that windswept look (whether you like it or not; there is no way to get the hair to lay flat against her back). I personally don't like the look of the hair joints, but who's going to display her from the back? It has a nice effect from the front and is a pretty cool idea for a character with longer hair.

Homura Figma Review Picture 9
/obligatory Mami picture

Of course, you always have the option of switching to her braided hairpiece, with involves completely removing her head to switch the two pieces out. And since this is Madoka Magica, I couldn't resist the reference.

Homura Figma Review Picture 10

Anyway, here she is with her braids and glasses. Each of the interchangeable expressions have notches in their sides above the ears to accommodate the glasses. Basically, you just snap them on and put the hair back in place. It's worth noting though that her hair doesn't slide all the way back when the glasses are on, leaving a bit of a gap, but nothing too noticeable if you don't display her on the side.

Homura Figma Review Picture 11

And now for the really fun part; the accessories! Homura comes with a lot of extra hands for all the different fun stuff she can hold. It's extremely easy to switch out and use all the different hands since there's a lack of a little nub on the wrist part where it joins with the arm, like on my other Figmas. I haven't changed out my Lucky Star Figmas' hands in ages because I'm paranoid that I'm going to break something, but this isn't the case with Homura. But on the topic of hard-to-change pieces, switching out Homura's armpiece for the one that could have the shield on it was a pain and a half. It was easy enough to get the entire arm off, but for a while that one little piece refused to budge since it was so stiff. Once I did get it switched out, it was easy to make the decision to never switch it again.

Homura Figma Review Picture 12
Homura Figma Review Picture 13 Homura Figma Review Picture 14
Homura Figma Review Picture 15
HomuHomu... your aim is a little off...

But enough about that. As expected, Homura comes with a varied arsenal. Her handgun has a specific hand piece just for holding it, and it looks great for action poses. She also has a pipe bomb, but I wasn't able to get it to fit in her hand, so I don't have any pictures of that, sorry. However, I'm pretty sure that Homura is the first Figma to come with a bazooka. Apologies for the slightly blurry picture on that one. The bazooka won't stay on her shoulder unless you position her just right, and as much as I tried to replicate the picture on the box, this was as close as I could get. It's still a fun piece to play with, though.

Homura Figma Review Picture 16

Finally, we have my personal favorite: the golf club! This is also the pose the I decided to display her in. I find it pretty amusing that they decided to include this and hopefully I'll find a way to get my other Figmas to play golf soon.

Homura Figma Review Picture 17

Overall, I'm really satisfied with her. It's a pretty solid Figma release, with great extras and is a lot of fun to play with. If you want her and have a chance to get your hands on her, act quickly because she's already gone in most places. If you've got some extra money, there's also the special release coming up soon as schoolgirl Homura, complete with even more weapons and the ribbon hairpiece from the final episode. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with just this release and I know I'll be displaying her along with Nendoroid Madoka for a long time.

Images by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment