Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Akatsuki no Yona First Impressions--Long Live the Political Intrigue Reverse Harem

Akatsuki no Yona First Impressions Screenshot 1

Do not adjust your television screens, it is not the 90's, and you are not watching Fushigi Yuugi.

I can't have been the only one who thought of that comparison watching the OP. Akatsuki no Yona seems to want to double as a reverse harem alongside its fantasy world political intrigue plotline, but you will hear no complaints from me about any of this. In just one episode, I'm in love with both of those ideas and the promise of what's to come.

Akatsuki no Yona First Impressions Screenshot 2

The anime follows Yona, the only princess of a small kingdom that has found peace with its neighbors in recent years, but is still vulnerable to attack. However, Yona doesn't care much about political concerns. She is too busy obsessing over why her curly red hair that won't lie flat and daydreaming about the person she wishes to marry, her cousin Soo-Won. However, her father refuses to agree to the marriage. After Yona finally gathers her resolve to press her father on the issue, she walks in on Soo-Won murdering him. Soon-Won tries to have the guards kill Yona as well, but at the last second one of the kingdom's generals, her childhood friend Hak, steps in.

Akatsuki no Yona First Impressions Screenshot 3

There were two things in this episode that would've normally put me off the show if not for the way that they were presented. The first was Yona's personality. She gets a bit whiny and acts very self-centered in this episode, but we're given plenty of context for her behavior; by her father's own admission, he spoiled and sheltered her too much. However, her moments of self-awareness after realizing that her position of power puts herself and the people she cares about in danger seem to speak more to her true nature. There's also the cold opening at the beginning of this episode, where we see a much different Yona. I'm interested in seeing how the naive, lovestruck princess we've started with will grow into that person. You can't make a diamond without pressure, after all.

Akatsuki no Yona First Impressions Screenshot 4

The second thing was her love for her cousin. Usually any mention of incest is enough to make me close the video player and never come back (although I am aware that marrying your cousin doesn't carry the same taboo within Japan). However, long before Soo-Won murders the king, the series makes it very obvious that couple will never happen. While Yona anguishes over her chances at marrying Soo-Won, she's also puts a checkmark in a lot of trope boxes for the possibility of a relationship with Hak: they're childhood friends, they bicker, Yona fakes being in a relationship with him and it backfires on her, etc. Not to mention that the OP alludes to it as well. The anime might as well put a flashing neon sign over the two of them that says "ENDGAME SHIP."

Akatsuki no Yona First Impressions Screenshot 5
You can't convince me otherwise
As for the rest of the episode, there was a bit of "as you know" dialogue to set up exposition ("He is your childhood friend," "watch out for the dangerous bandits that killed your mother," etc.), but for the most part it created a world that I can buy into, although it hasn't shown much of it just yet. I've heard some complaints about the quality of the animation, but so far it seems like the show has the usual budget given to shoujo adaptations, and I didn't notice anything particularly out of place or off-model. At the moment, the show seems to be more concerned with maintaining its atmosphere; for example, the instrumental opening does a lot for setting the tone. Overall, I'm very pleased with how Akatsuki no Yona set up its first episode and I'm interested in seeing where it will take its story from here.

Images from Crunchyroll.com. This post is also available on OASG.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I haven't tried Akatsuki no Yona yet, but it sounds like a fun show that'll require minimal thought (which is just the kind of show I need during the school year). Poor Yona... that's an awful way to find out that her father was right, and Soo-Won wasn't a great match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a good show to unwind to, oddly enough. I wonder if they'll ever get into her father's reasoning, since I don't think he predicted that thing would turn out like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After watching and reviewing the first two episodes today as well, I have to agree that this is an interesting series thus far. The first episode did a good job of setting everything up, but that second episode is what has gotten me hooked. Finally a historical series that should turn out well; we need more of them. :) Excellent review! Can't wait for the next episode!


    -James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the Korean names were also making me think of K-Dramas. XD And thanks for the videos! I'm really enjoying the music in the series, so it's nice to see the other stuff that they've done.


    Unfortunately, I don't have time to write any more first impressions aside from the ones I agreed to do for OASG. But I am watching Kokkuri-san and I love it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the second episode was great as well! I'm glad that my high expectations after the first episode weren't wrong. And I'm really hoping that this show will do well in sales! We really do need more series like this one.

    ReplyDelete